Textile House Walk

 What's on my work table?

        The last few weeks I concentrated on a course from Shelley Rhodes called From Here to There. Since we had much snow in my area, I journeyed in my neighborhood looking through my window to take a textile house walk. I started with my neighbor's home across the street and then moved to the house beyond the common property. 

House Across the Street


House Beyond the Common Property


        Next, I'll move to a Mandy Pattullo's course and stitch a Canadian goose. The geese very much form an integral part of our community's landscape. They generally stay until about November, and then return around March. They haven't left this year. I always enjoy watching them peck at our grass behind the house. They'll parade past our home with their young ones during the spring. 


How Do You Begin?

        Start with muslin or sheet material. You can work on pieces sewn together, one long one, or postcard size. I sewed pieces together; however, I'd separate them next time. I like the freedom of sequencing their order later. Also, I might collage them to a larger background when finished.

        Prime them with a thinned white and beige paints, leaving some of the fabric uncovered. Add watercolor, pencil/charcoal lines, and ink afterwards to form marks on your background. Then, begin your design. I drew my designs with pencil and added material and stitching. 

        You can attach fusible interfacing to the back side, but select something very light. The layers stack up as you work making it difficult to push your needle through the thicknesses.

Primed Material With Stitching

        I chose a primitive look to represent the image sites in my complex focusing on shapes. I paid attention to texture and retained some detail. 

        To keep my piece from looking too busy, I stayed with a limited palette. The pieces feature shades of white, gray, black with a touch of gold.

        Do try a textile walk around your community with textiles. You'd be amazed at the transformation through cloth. 

        I highly recommend Stitch Club from TextileArtist.org. They not only feature Shelley Rhodes' course, but also those from leading textile artists from the international scene.



    "Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness" (Ps 143:10 KJV).

Comments

Popular Posts