Merging Boro with Textile Portraiture

My how this month went by quickly. We begin August tomorrow!

July has been a busy month for me. I experimented with wearable art fusing sashiko stitching in Boro fashion with textile portraiture. 

Recently, I discovered a great jacket pattern on Etsy from All Well by Amy Bornean with Amelia Greenhall.  

Having printed out the pattern, I decided to adapt it into a Kimono jacket in boro style and add a textile portrait to the back piece. Boro and textile appliqué complement each other well. 

I cut out the pattern on muslin--only three pieces to it. Then, I laid out top fabrics in patchwork style to the front pieces. 


I kept the stitching simple using Thread Art perle #8 in white. The jacket used up four rolls so far. 

I finished the two fronts, and only have a few rows on the sleeve to complete the back.



I found an indigo-colored lining fabric in cotton. And, I plan on adding a textile self-portrait to the back piece with the theme of identity. I am loved by God! That forms the core of my identity!



I'm going to edge the textile portrait in bias tape from a vintage kimono I've had for many years. 


I'll model the finished jacket in another post. Do check out the All Well website's patterns. I've purchased other patterns from them to create wearable art.

Blessings,

Jan
July 31, 2022

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God had before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:10).







Comments

Popular Posts